A Healthy Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad Everyone Will Love!
As someone who loves to cook, I always experiment with the different kinds of dishes from all over the world. And since I started trying to lose weight, I decided to start whipping up creative salads that will have my palate enjoy! While people think salads are simply mixed vegetables with simple dressing, you can put a twist into it and make it even yummier by adding more protein and toppings, like chicken! And that is when I created the Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad.
Sounds very complicated but it's quite easy to make and very healthy to have! So if you're wondering how to make this wonderful salad, then read on as I show you the full recipe.
How to Make a Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad
If you're looking for the best salad to try that's both healthy and delicious, then give this a try! It has a hint of lemon with a mixture of herbs and the sweet and sour taste from the dressing. It's entirely different from the ones you are used to, and with the presence of a creamy avocado, the crunchy lettuce leaves, and tender, juicy chicken, you are bound to have a mouthful of amazing flavors and textures in one bite! And yes, it's very filling and will have you full for hours, making it a perfect lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Recipe Type: Salads
- Servings: Good for four people
- Great For: Diet and weight loss
- A perfect meal for: Lunch and dinner
- Calories: 470 calories per serving
Ingredients (Marinade and Dressing):
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon (quarter cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Two tablespoons of water
- Two tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Two tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
- Two teaspoons of dried basil
- Two teaspoons of minced garlic
- One teaspoon of dried oregano
- One teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of cracked pepper for taste
- Four skinless and boneless chicken thigh or breast fillets (one pound)
- Four cups of washed and dried Romaine lettuce leaves
- One large diced cucumber
- Two diced Roma tomatoes
- One sliced red onion
- One sliced avocado
- 1/3 cup of pitted olives (can be sliced or whole)
- Lemon wedges for serving
1. Whisk all the marinade and dressing ingredients in a large jug. In a large and shallow dish, pour half of the marinade there. The remaining mixture in the jug will be used as the salad's dressing later on.
2. Add the chicken into the bowl of marinade. Allow the chicken to marinade for 15 to 30 minutes. You can also opt to leave it in the fridge for up to two hours for better flavor if you have the time.
3. While waiting for your chicken to marinade, you can prepare all the salad ingredients by mixing it in a large salad bowl.
4. When the chicken is ready to be cooked, heat a tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or plate at medium-high heat.
5. Grill the chicken on both sides until they are browned and cooked evenly and thoroughly.
6. Let the chicken rest for about five minutes. Once it is rested, slice it into pieces and add it to the salad. You can arrange it as a topping, or you can mix it all.
7. Get the remaining salad dressing and drizzle it all over the salad. Again, you can opt to mix it or not.
8. Serve the salad with lemon wedges and enjoy!
Pro-Tips to Follow When Making the Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad
If you're wondering about how you can make this dish even better, then try these tips to ensure that the dish will be delicious and better each time you do it:
1. Upon serving the salad, add half a cup of crumbled feta cheese over it for an even better flavor. You will love the tangy taste!
2. Want to make it with fewer calories? You can omit one tablespoon of olive oil, or grill the chicken without oil and on a nonstick pan.
3. I recommend you to add this as an appetizer or side, serve it in smaller sizes and match it with a delicious main course. While I like making this my main meal, it's also nice to lessen the serving to make room for even more delicious dishes.
4. If you are allergic to chicken or can't have it, then try shrimp instead of chicken (also one pound of shrimp). Another awesome swap would be to use grape tomatoes instead of Roma.
5. For those who feel like the marinade is not enough for the chicken or salad, I recommend you to double the serving.
Salad doesn't need to be boring ever again with the delightful taste of lemon and the nutritious chicken and vegetables. Through the simple yet rich dressing and a huge salad fit enough for a king, you will enjoy this Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad without looking like you're on a diet. Like me, you'll start looking forward to preparing your healthy meals!
I hope that this Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad recipe helped you become more knowledgeable on more things to do with the plain salad. So don't wait any longer and try this recipe out yourself today!
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences when making this salad, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.
Read more: Yummy Crab Bombs ANYONE Can Make At Home!