I eat a lot of potatoes. I like all types: sweet, red, purple, russet, creamers, gold. You name the potato, I probably have some in my pantry. But potatoes can be heavy and sometimes I want something a little lighter. As I was watching, Dr. Oz a few weeks ago, Chef Mario Batali was on there making these delicious carrot cakes. He called them Carrot Frittelle. I modified this recipe based on what I prefer in my hash browns and they came out great. You can use fresh grated carrots or you can buy prepackaged grated carrots to save some time. I used the prepackaged carrots.
If you take a quick look, you would think these were regular hash browns. However, they are low carb with the use of carrots instead of potatoes. They are crispy, yet soft in the middle.
I top these cakes with goat cheese….and YUM…the creamy goat cheese adds a nice brightness to the cakes.
Hash Brown Carrot Cakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: About 18 – 20 hash brown carrot cakes
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese
- If using whole carrots, shred carrots with grater or using your food processor.
- In large bowl, mix carrots, panko, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron pan with olive oil.
- Take 2 tablespoons of mixture, form in a ball and then flatten in hand.
- Cook cake on both sides, until golden brown.
- Transfer to platter and top with goat cheese.