For some reason, I have been on a doughnut kick lately. I usually bake my doughnuts, but frying anything is always better. And it’s not bad if you do not do it often..or at least I like to tell myself.
I like doughnuts because they are a sweet treat that you can eat at any time. They are also relatively easy to make, especially if you have a doughnut cutter. Buying a doughnut cutter is worth it if you like to make homemade doughnuts.
Once the dough is made, you are already halfway finished with the recipe. After the dough has stiffened a bit make sure you have a well floured surface ready. This dough can stick. Cut the doughnuts out and then they are ready to fry. See I told you…Easy!
These doughnuts came out with just the right amount of sweetness and bite. Also, adding the nutmeg and maple syrup actually made these babies taste like apple pie.
And do not forget the cinnamon sugar. It adds the finishing touch.
EAT and Enjoy with a cup coffee, tea, or just because!
Apple Pie Doughnuts
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In large mixer bowl, combine all wet ingredients except oil (ie., applesauce, maple syrup, butter, eggs).
- In medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (ie., flour, baking powder, spices, sugar).
- Add half of flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes with stand mixer or electric mixer.
- Add in the remaining half of the flour mixture until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until dough stiffens.
- In larger Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil to 375°F.
- Place dough on floured surface and roll out to 3/8″ thickness.
- Using a floured doughnut cutter, cut out doughnuts.
- Fry doughnuts in oil 2 to 3 at a time, 1 1/2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spatula and place on plate lined with paper towels.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in plastic bag.
- Place 1 – 2 doughnuts in bag and coat with cinnamon sugar.