A few weeks ago, I went to a dessert place with my friend On the menu, they had a apple cobbler topped with a chocolate sauce. Now, I am not a very big fan of combining apple and chocolate flavors. I feel the two items should remain separate. I want my chocolate in things like cake and brownies and my apple in things like pie and cobbler. I never really thought about combining the two. But now you are starting to see more apples covered in chocolate and apples and chocolate mixed together in recipes. Needless to say, I tasted the apple cobbler in chocolate sauce and WOW it was very good. The two flavors welded together very nicely. So, I thought…I am going to try an apple and chocolate recipe at home and I came up with Apple Crumble Brownies.
Who doesn’t love a nice apple crumble? And who doesn’t love a chocolaty brownie? I cannot resist both. Combining the two really create a delectable and tasty treat in your mouth. When you bite into the apple crumble brownie, you get a nice sweet apple flavor with chocolate in every single bite. It is absolute heaven! This brownie tastes better warm in my opinion and even better with vanilla ice cream.
The recipe is also very forgiving. You can use your favorite brownie recipe or your favorite apple crumble recipe. You can add walnuts or pecans. You can use whatever apples you prefer. I personally like to use granny smith apples because they are crisp and tart.
To make these brownies, you have to make the brownie batter separate and the apple crumble separate. Once you mix the brownies, pour the batter into the pan evenly. Then sprinkle on the apples and then the crumble all over the brownies evenly. It’s that simple. Bake in a preheated oven and your Apple Crumble Brownies are ready. Baked in a 9×9 pan the recipe yielded 9 medium-sized brownies or 16 small brownies.
Make sure you try these delicious brownies and let me know how they came out!
EAT and Enjoy!
Apple Crumble Brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 9 medium apple crumble brownies or 16 small apple crumble brownies
- 4 large apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose four
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place apples in sauce pan and sprinkle white sugar over them.
- Cook apples until softened.
- Remove apples from heat and mix with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients of the apple crumble. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in large sauce pan over low-medium heat.
- Remove from heat. Let mixture cool and then add eggs and vanilla extract.Set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients of brownies.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir until combined.
- Line 9×9 baking dish with foil. Grease foil on bottom and all sides.
- Pour brownie batter into pan. Make sure the layer is even.
- Add apples evenly over brownie mixture.
- Sprinkle crumble over apples.
- Bake in preheated over for 25 – 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.