Are you looking into taking the healthy route? I know how difficult it can get to do so, especially if you aren't able to let go of a lot of your favorite snacks again because of it.
One of the sacrifices I had to make were potato chips, which always made way to my stomach at least a few times a week. Cutting it out sucked because it was my go-to snack, but I realized that there are ways on how you can make it healthy! And that was when I discovered air fryer potato chips.
What are they? Read on and let me talk about these chips and how to make your own!
You're probably wondering how these chips are different from the usual ones you purchase. Besides making these chips yourself, the huge difference is that you are using the air fryer and there is minimal to NO oil added to your chips. That's right; there's no extra fat or sodium added, making it healthier and lower in calories!
It isn't only good for dieting, but for those looking for a vegan-friendly option that has them maintain their weight while still eating their favorite snacks. And with the variety of flavors, you can put in yourself; you won't want to purchase processed and packaged chips again.
I whipped this recipe up for all the health buffs out there who still want that crunchy serving of potato chips without the excess calories. It's got the garlicky and cheesy flavor to it that anyone will love and appreciate. And if you make it right, it will taste almost exactly like your favorite branded chips from the local grocery store.
1. Slice the potatoes thinly. I recommend that you use a mandolin for this to make the process quicker and easier to do.
2. Place the potatoes in a bowl filled with water. Add the salt to the bowl and allow it to soak for about 30 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the potatoes, patting it dry after.
4. Toss the potatoes with both garlic and parmesan.
5. Following the instructions of your air fryer, layer half of it inside (no more than four layers). Do NOT overload the fryer or the potatoes won't cook evenly.
6. Fry the potatoes at 170 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until you see that the chips are very dry and not flimsy. Remember to stir and toss the basket every five minutes for consistent cooking.
7. Now raise the temperature to 400 degrees, allowing it to fry for five minutes or once the chips look crunchy.
8. Remove it from the fryer and top it with more vegan parmesan or salt.
9. Repeat the process with the other potato slices.
10. Let the chips cool and enjoy!
Read more: Air Fryer Recipes: Banana Chips
Of course, you aren't only limited to using garlic and parmesan. You can change up the flavors and add powders such as cheese, sour cream and onion, or even drizzle the potatoes with a bit of vinegar during the rinsing process for a salt and vinegar variety. The choice is all up to you!
If you want to make the potato chips even better, then add some condiments on the side to enjoy it with, such as ketchup or mayonnaise. Serve this during parties or even for your kids instead of the usual unhealthy packaged snack. Pair it with a healthy drink such as shakes or smoothies, and you've got the complete healthy snack to energize you for your workouts or the day ahead!
When it comes to eating healthy, you don't need to eradicate all your favorite snacks. You just need to modify them and create it into something healthier for you to consume and enjoy! And if you're hankering for some potato chips, there's no need to worry about the amount of oil or sodium anymore, because you can tweak it by making your own with the help of an air fryer!
I hope that this article on how to make air fryer potato chips gave you more ideas on what to have as a quick and healthier alternative to your usual calorie-laden food. So don't wait any longer and take the healthier route by trying this recipe out today!
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences when making these chips, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.
Welcome! I’m happy you’re here. I'm Sara McConnell. I have a passion for cooking and desire to make healthy eating easy, tasty and fun. I often spend my free time searching for, creating and trying tasty new recipes in my kitchen. Through the blog i want to share with you my cooking experience, and I hope it can help you. Thank you so much for visiting!